Thursday, September 18, 2008

Spicy Chickpea Patties

Use these Spicy Chickpea Patties in place of meat patties to make a delicious - and healthy - burger !

“Horrible things, aren’t they ?” said my carnivorous husband when I served these for lunch the other day “I thought you said you were making chick-en patties, not chick-pea patties. Egh !” I told him if he didn’t like them, and was going to complain about the food I had just (lovingly) made for him - he could hire himself a cook – ha ha !

I love the idea of making ‘burger’ type patties from chickpeas, inspired by watching one of those health programmes on TV. Just ignore my husband’s (rude) comment and try them & you’ll see, they really are quite nice – especially when served on a bread roll with lettuce, tomatoes and a bit of chutney.

This is the recipe I came up with -:


Spicy Chickpea Patties

1 ½ cups mashed Potato
½ cup Breadcrumbs
1 Egg, beaten
1 tin (240 gm drained weight) Chickpeas, drained
2 heaped tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Garlic flakes

Mix all the ingredients together & shape into patties. Place carefully on a baking tray which has been coated with non-stick spray and bake at Gas mark 6/200’C/400’F for about 30 minutes, turning once or twice during that time.
(You could also lightly pan fry them but they may break apart as the mixture is quite soft, I have not tired this yet).