Monday, October 6, 2008

Tangy Pasta & Lentil Salad

This pasta & lentil salad makes a filling lunch (especially if, like my husband, you decide to add rashers of greasy fried bacon to it !)

“What’s that boiling on the stove top ?” asked my husband as he arrived home for lunch one day last week. “Lentils” I said cheerfully, as I waited for his face to fall “Oh” he said “What are they for ?” “For the pasta & lentil salad we’re having for lunch today !” I said it with as much enthusiasm as I could (‘cause my husband hates eating things like that - as regular followers of my blog will know !)

Oooohhhh … I’m a bit mean sometimes, I know … but goodness, hubby can’t ALWAYS eat unhealthy fat laden things now, can he ?! In good spirit, he ate the salad without much fuss. (But I suspect it was because of the crispy streaky bacon rashers he fried up for himself and mixed in with it !)

This is actually a really filling lunch – you could also serve it on a bed of lettuce or baby spinach leaves if you liked. Or rashers & rashers of greasy bacon. Mmmmm … that would work quite well, too ;)


Tangy Pasta & Lentil Salad

500 gm cooked Pasta Shells
400 gm (drained) tin of chopped tomatoes
300 gm cooked Lentils
100 gm pickled cocktail Onions
Salt & Pepper to taste
125 ml Mayonnaise
10 ml hot English Mustard
Parsley sprigs, chopped (for garnishing)

Place all the ingredients (except the mayonnaise & mustard) in a salad bowl and toss to combine. Mix the mayonnaise and mustard together until well blended, pour over the ingredients in the salad bowl and mix to combine well. Chill before serving. Sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley before serving.