Saturday, November 8, 2008

Copper Penny Salad

This Copper Penny Salad is great served with a barbecue

I’ve been making this recipe for years now, & I can’t tell you where it originated from because I cut it out of a South African magazine and stuck it into one of my recipe books sometime in the late ‘80’s ! (Although I know that the salad does not originate from South Africa).

This salad has a sweet & sour tang to it and I especially like serving it with a barbecue. It’s best made the day before so that the flavours can develop overnight in the fridge.

You can also add a finely sliced green pepper to the carrot/onion mix if you like. Of course the ‘copper penny’ in the title is the carrot rounds resembling copper pennies, although I prefer to slice mine even thinner than that, & at a slight angle across the wider section of my cheese grater. But you could cut the carrots any way you prefer.

It’s important to only cook the carrots until al dente (still crisp & not soggy) – I once made the mistake of overcooking my carrots, and the salad really did not taste as nice.


Copper Penny Carrot Salad

500 gm Carrots, finely sliced & cooked to blanch (+- 10 mins)
1 red Onion, finely sliced into rings
¼ cup Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)
¼ cup white grape Vinegar
2 tbsp brown Sugar
2 tbsp cold Water
3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
½ tsp Hot English Mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place the blanched carrots, and onion together in a bowl and mix well. Place the remaining ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil whilst stirring. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes before removing from the heat. Pour the liquid over the carrot/onion mixture and toss well to blend. Store, covered, in the fridge until ready to serve. This salad is best made the day before you plan to eat it, so that it has time to marinade and for the flavours to develo
p fully.