Sunday, November 9, 2008

I'm Leaving The Country ......

Early tomorrow morning, we'll be taking this road out of Tanzania, across the Namanga border post and into Kenya - where we hope to reach Nairobi sometime in the afternoon

For a few days.

Ha – did that get your attention ?!

I know, it sounds more glamorous than it is, but tomorrow morning at first light my husband, my daughter and I will pack up our car & head off the dusty farm roads, through the city of Arusha and continue even further until we reach the Namanga border post which separates Tanzania from Kenya. After the border crossing, we will keep on driving into Kenya and on and on until we eventually reach the capital city of Nairobi, where we hope to check into our hotel sometime in the afternoon.

I absolutely love Nairobi – I fell in love with it the first time I visited it over 10 years ago, and it continues to grow on me with each visit. We go to Nairobi at least once, often three or more times a year - only this year it will be our first visit.

My expat friends are quick to point out to me that Nairobi is ‘just another bustling, dirty, African city’ & that if I lived there I’d soon change my idea of the place but then I am just as quick to tell them that I was born and grew up in a bustling, dirty, African city (Harare, Zimbabwe) so I feel quite at home in Nairobi, thanks !

If there’s one African city you just have to visit, it’s Nairobi. It will knock your socks off ! It has some of the best restaurants – I believe – in East Africa, if not Africa as a whole; the people are very cosmopolitan; the city has great cultural spots; parks; shopping malls; bars and night life ! I also find the Nairobians (yes, this is the name given to people who live in the city) to be vibey, dynamic and very friendly. Sure, Nairobi has it’s slum areas, it’s crime, it’s problems – but then which city doesn’t ?

Of course, as always, I’ll be taking my camera with me to record everything I see, do and eat whilst in Kenya (did I mention one of the main reasons for the trip is Christmas Shopping ?!) , so that I can blog about it when I get back ! Until then though, I don’t have any blog posts publishing automatically each day whilst I’m away as I usually do, but I’ll be back blogging again on Friday or Saturday - depending on when we get back.

So ………….. see you all then !