Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Momentous Day for America ...

Support for Obama in a small Tanzanian village as roadside vendors display his name on their stalls & carts

I don’t usually publish 2 blog posts in one day, and politics is one of the things I don’t discuss on my blog. But I feel that, as today is a momentous day in world history with the American Elections upon us, and as almost 60 % of my blog readers are American, I just wanted to say that we, here in dusty, 3rd world Africa are thinking of you all today as the eyes of the whole world are upon you …

Obama, as many of you know, is part Kenyan and Kenya and Tanzania are close neighbours - so the feeling here is one of support and pride for Obama because he is part African – perhaps more people here are following the elections than would usually be, because of Obama, I’m not sure.

Tanzania has a huge base of American expats, indeed the United Nations has a huge base in the city of Arusha, where the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda has been held for several years now. I know of at least 2 gatherings being held in Arusha today, where large groups of American citizens are watching the elections live.

I also know of Tanzanian citizens huddled in dusty villages, listening to their radio’s for election news and people crowded into local bars and restaurants in the cities, all watching a single TV flickering in the corner, probably run by generator power. Justin’s face breaks into a huge grin when I ask him what he thinks about the US elections and he gives me 2 thumbs up as he says “Obama !”

News reports speak of hope and prayer in Obama’s ancestral village in Kenya – we hear that election fever has swept Kenya and that people are standing by for the election results, with bulls to slaughter in celebration if Obama wins.

So, America – far, far away, on the other side of the world, your African friends are watching the events unfolding in your country today, and hoping and praying for peaceful elections and the best outcome for your country. We, too, wait with anticipation to see who your new leader will be – we’re thinking of you, America !