Tuesday, November 4, 2008

French Toast

I love eating this French toast slathered with golden syrup & cheddar cheese - and 2 slices are always better than 1 !

I hesitated to post this recipe for French Toast because it’s such a simple one - but then I thought well, I’m always looking for simple, easy ideas and I’m sure that other people out there are, too – ideas for making a quick snack or light meal, which is what this essentially is.

When we were growing up, my Mum used to make this for us for breakfast sometimes. She called it “Egg Bread” and it was especially delicious when served with a hot breakfast of bacon, sausages and tomatoes. This was the only way I’d even eaten this bread, until I hit boarding school as a teenager that is. Oh boy.

I went to a very traditional Afrikaans (South African) boarding school or “koshuis” as they were called. It was here that I was introduced to some of my ‘sinful’ food favourites … things I’d never tried before in my traditionally (& rather healthy) English home …. things like Vetkoek and Melkos and this particular way of eating French toast. Which is ….. smothered in thick, sticky, golden syrup and topped with oodles of grated cheese. Ahhhh !

Is it any coincidence that my life long battle with my weight started when I went to boarding school ? I think not ! Since I left school I have gained - and lost again - 25 kg's/55 lb's (& no, that doesn't include my highest pregnancy weight !) *sigh* as I'm at the lower end of this range at the moment, the other day I thought - to heck with it, it’s time for some boarding school style French toast again, calories or not !

Here’s how I make it -:


French Toast


2 Slices white Bread (does not have to be fresh)
1 Egg, beaten
4 tbsp Milk (I use Skim milk, to ease my conscience)
¼ tsp Vanilla Essence
pinch of ground Cinnamon

Cheddar Cheese, grated (to taste)
Golden Syrup (to taste) – this is like corn syrup

A little oil for frying (or, once again - to ease the conscience – non stick pan spray)

Mix the egg, milk, vanilla essence & cinnamon together in a shallow bowl. Dip each bread slice into this mixture, turning so that it soaks through into both sides.

Quickly pan fry until golden, turning once or twice during the cooking process.

Slather with tablespoonfuls of golden syrup, and top with mounds of grated cheese (Cheddar works best). The diet can always start tomorrow, anyway.