Monday, January 19, 2009

Banana & Cinnamon Crumpets

I served these Banana & Cinnamon Crumpets hot, drizzled with honey and topped with slices of banana

Those of you who read me regularly will know that on Sunday afternoons I usually make something ‘special’ for the family for afternoon tea. Sunday’s are lazy days for us, the one day of the week where we are together as a family for the whole day (if my husband is not busy with planting or harvesting), and this tradition of “Sunday afternoon tea” started several years ago.

Yesterday I decided to make these Banana & Cinnamon Crumpets for tea, by adapting a Drop Scone recipe of my Granny’s. (You can see the post I did on that recipe over here). I had quite a few over ripe bananas (not eaten as we were away this week) and wanted to use some of them up -:


Banana & Cinnamon Crumpets

4 heaped dessertspoons* Flour
1 level dessertspoon* Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
¼ tsp Cinnamon powder
1 level dessertspoon brown Sugar
1 large ripe Banana, mashed
1 Egg, beaten
Sufficient milk to make batter
Margarine or butter for frying (seems to work better than oil for this recipe)
*A dessertspoon measures 10 ml's & is slightly smaller than a tablespoon which measures 15 ml's

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon powder together. Stir in the sugar, mashed banana, egg & enough milk to make a stiff batter. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture into a hot saucepan. Lightly fry until golden and cooked through. Serve hot, drizzled with honey and slices of banana. (Makes around 10 crumpets)