Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jumbo Oatmeal Cookies

These Oatmeal Cookies are great for school lunchboxes !

This cookie recipe is great for lunchboxes & I made a big batch of them just before my daughter was due to return to school recently.

I was actually also trying to use up the porridge oats in my store cupboard as one of the foods I’ve completely gone ‘off’ since falling pregnant is oats, of all things ! Seeing as they used to be my standard everyday breakfast, and also as my husband doesn’t eat them (my daughter has them now and again) I have quite a supply which need to be used up, and this recipe helped me to do just that ….

Jumbo Oatmeal Cookies (from “The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection” by the Lions Club of Menengai, Nakuru, Kenya)

250 gm Butter (I use Margarine)
160 gm Sugar, ground (I use Caster/fine sugar)
250 gm self-raising Flour
125 gm Jumbo Porridge Oats (I use normal porridge oats)
100 gm desiccated Coconut (I use Muesli & a handful of flax/pumpkin seed mix instead)
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
¼ cup warm Milk (approx.)
For Topping : 2 parts Jumbo oats & 1 part desiccated coconut (optional)

Beat butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients & mix gently with a wooden spoon. Add a little milk if required & knead into a soft dough. Make +- 50 balls. Mix ingredients for topping. Roll balls in the topping mix & arrange on lightly greased baking trays. Bake cookies in a pre-heated oven at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4 until light brown (+- 20 to 30 minutes)