Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chocolate Profiteroles

This (above) is what the mixture should look like once removed from the pot and before you add the eggs

Once the eggs have been added, the mixture should be glossy and a little softer to work with (above)

Pipe or drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a greased baking tray (above) - you can make them larger than I have if you prefer, you can also create longer shapes

The finished product (above) - topped with melted chocolate. Delicious !


Profiteroles are actually a lot easier to make than they look !

This is a recipe which I learnt (& have been making) since I was at school over 20 years ago, and took “Home Economics” as a subject. (I loved my Home Economics class and to be honest, I learnt more in those classes – things that I still actually use in my everyday life over 20 years later - than I EVER learnt in classes like Geography, Biology etc).

You can serve these profiteroles with either sweetened whipped cream or thick custard as a filling, and you can top them with melted chocolate or even chocolate flavoured glace icing (frosting). They’re great as a dessert (which is how I usually serve them) or with tea.

I made trays and trays of them a couple of years ago for a friend’s 40th birthday party (they’re great if you’re cooking for a crowd, and can be eaten with just your fingers if necessary – no plates or cutlery required ! ), and most recently I served them for dessert at a company lunch function which we hosted out at our farm -:


Chocolate Profiteroles

½ cup Margarine
1 ½ cups Water
1 ½ cups Flour
4 Eggs, beaten
For Filling & Topping : cold, thick Custard (about 2 cups); bar of milk chocolate, melted

Melt the margarine in the water in a small pot. When mixture comes to the boil, add the flour. Stir quickly, until the mixture leaves the sides of the pot and forms a ball. Leave to stand until cool, then add the beaten eggs and mix well.

Pipe, or place spoonfuls, onto a greased baking tray. Bake at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4 until golden brown. Remove from oven & place on a wire rack to cool slightly – then slice them open so that the steam can escape. Once cool, remove the soft dough inside, so that you are just left with the crispy profiterole “shell”.

Fill with the cold custard & drizzle the melted chocolate over each one before serving.

Note : You can also serve these with sweetened whipped cream inside instead of the custard & I have also substituted the melted chocolate topping for a thick chocolate glace icing on occasion.