Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Iced Biscuits Decorated With Sweets - A Great Activity For Kids !

I decorated these biscuits with face and insect/bug designs, but you could create anything that takes your fancy !

This is not so much a recipe as an idea, because you really can let your creative streak run wild with this one ! Kids absolutely love both making and eating these, and it’s easy for very young children to participate, too.

I made these for my daughter’s 4th birthday party last year, and they were a hit. I used Marie Biscuits (which are like a plain tea biscuit) but you could use any similar round, plain biscuit as your base.

Firstly, I made a large bowl of fairly stiff icing (frosting) with icing sugar and water, then split it into 2 smaller bowls and coloured the icing in one bowl with a few drops of red food colouring, and the icing in the other bowl with a few drops of blue food colouring.

I then iced the tops of each biscuit and whilst the icing was still wet, I decorated the tops with a selection of different sweets (candies) to make faces or insect/bug designs on the top. (Dog and cat faces would also work well).

I bought a selection of sweets – whatever I could find in our shops here - which included jelly sweets in different sizes, chocolate candies, sour worms, liquorice and marshmallows. Some I cut into shapes or different sizes, but most I used whole.

These are so simple to make and would go down well not only at a child’s birthday party, but also at a school fete or even as a basic school or extra mural cooking activity. You could also include this as an activity at your child’s next birthday party – set up a table with pre-iced biscuits and bowls of different sweets, and let each child decorate (& eat !) his/her own biscuit.