Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Coffee Biscuits (Cookies)

These coffee biscuits taste great on their own or dunked into a nice cup of coffee or tea ! (Pictured with a tin of "Africafe" which is one of Tanzania's great instant coffee's & my husband's absolute favourite !)

This is a recipe I came up with some time ago when I was craving a coffee flavoured biscuit (cookie) & all the recipes I came across in my recipe books seemed too fiddly or complicated – all I wanted was a quick and easy recipe, so this is what I came up with -:


Coffee Biscuits (Cookies)

1 ½ cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda
5 tbsp brown Sugar
3 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
½ cup Margarine (or Butter)
2 tbsp Milk

Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar & instant coffee powder into a bowl. Rub in the margarine (or butter) with your fingertips, until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the milk and stir and mix to form a manageable dough. Roll walnut sized balls of the dough and place on a greased baking sheet. Press with the back of a fork to flatten. Bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for around 30 minutes until done. Makes around 30 biscuits.