Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mid Week Catch Up ....

My garden (this photo taken earlier this week) looks a lot greener than the surrounding countryside & is a haven to birds and insects during these drier Winter months

Phew, it’s been a hectic first week back at home – after being away for 3 months you can imagine how much catching up I’ve had to do - together with caring for a newborn baby (& the interrupted sleep that goes with that !), sorting through my freezer/fridge/pantry stocks and getting the house straight again, as well as unpacking close on 100 kg’s of luggage (which arrived in Tanzania a day after us, but at least everything was in one piece !) Oh yes, we also had visitors out to the farm for the day on Saturday – friends who wanted to come out and meet the new babe, so I made a quick lunch for everyone (roast chicken, salads, bread rolls) which was no mean feat with a baby on my hip ;)

I have not photographed anything I’ve cooked this past week, nor written any new recipes up for the blog yet – mainly because I’ve been cooking ‘easy’ (read ‘lazy’ !) meals or recipes previously published on the blog.

Once I do start publishing new recipes again, you’ll note that quite a few of them will be healthier/lower fat options as I begin my war on getting rid of the post pregnancy weight (all 17 kg’s / 37 lb’s of it – eeeek !) I’ve done it before, so no excuses not to do it again now but goodness, it’s tough - especially if you live, eat, drink, sleep food and have an appetite like mine ! (Oh, and have a food blog too !)

The fact that breast feeding (supposedly) melts all the excess weight away ? A MYTH !! Well, let me rephrase that – what they forget to tell you is that the extra 500 or so calories you burn up every day breastfeeding, makes you starving, crazy hungry and you end up eating around 1000 extra calories a day just to refuel/compensate – ha ha !

But ... fear not, all the skinny blog readers out there, as there will still be some ‘full fat’ high calorie versions of certain recipes appearing as my husband refuses to eat anything of the low fat, high fibre variety and prefers the majority of his main meals to be smothered with full fat melted cheese (or at least a chunk of it on the side !)

Yesterday I asked my husband to take some photo’s of me so that I could update my profile picture …. and whilst my back was turned my daughter grabbed the camera off a high work top and it dropped to the floor and it is no longer working – and according to hubby (Mr Fixit) ‘it is unfixable’ – oh no ! So, no more blogging photo’s until we can get into the city again to replace it (there is a shop in the city – one of few – which stocks all manner of electrical goods and gadgets from Dubai and further afield, so I will try there). Luckily I have a few recently taken photo’s which I’d downloaded before the ‘crash’, so those will be appearing soon.

Well, that’s it from me for now – just a quick catch-up as I suddenly realized it’d been a week since I last blogged. A week ? Eh ? Or was it just a few days ago ? My sleep deprived brain doesn't even know what day of the week it is, never mind my own name ! Anyway, more to follow soon .......