Friday, July 31, 2009

Sticky Chicken Drumsticks (A hit with the kids !)

This is quite a versatile recipe in that it can be baked in the oven, cooked under the grill or thrown onto the barbecue - and it's a hit with both adults & children alike !

Right, I thought it was about time to post another recipe on the blog – seeing as this IS a food blog, after all, and lately I have been rambling on about everything BUT food (funnily enough though, my stats show that the majority of readers prefer reading my non food related/recipe posts – what I call my ‘life’ posts about life in Tanzania etc seem to be the most read, and most popular pages.)

Well, here is a recipe anyway. For my most favourite meat of all – chicken. This is a versatile recipe as you can cook it under the oven grill or on the barbecue and it can also be baked in the oven. Kids love it as much as adults and although I’ve used the sauce here to coat & cook chicken drumsticks, it works beautifully with chicken wings, too.


Sticky Chicken Drumsticks

1 kg Chicken Drumsticks (Legs) – I remove the skin on mine
½ cup Dijon Mustard
1/3 cup Vinegar (Grape or Cider vinegar works well)
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Honey
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper

Whisk the mustard, vinegar, sugar, honey, Soy sauce & seasonings together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Place the chicken drumsticks in a single layer in a large oven proof dish and pour the sauce over. Bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for around 45 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through. Baste & turn the chicken pieces regularly during the cooking process.

(Alternatively, you could cook the chicken pieces under the grill or on the barbecue.)