Monday, August 10, 2009

A Winter's Walk Through My Garden ....

I couldn't wait to get back and see what my garden looked like after 3 month's absence & a lack of water. Surprisingly, not too bad .... thanks to our gardeners (who had been working without much supervision). Which reminds me, I really should do a post about them soon .... so that you can 'meet' them all, too ! And our askari, Simon & his crazy cat-chasing dog, Buster. (Who the staff and local people in the area call 'Pasta'. I kid you not ! I tell them it's 'Buster' not 'Pasta' and they say "No, Mama, there is no such name as 'Buster' for a dog !") I give up ! Anyway, back to the garden ..... there's the old fig tree, above .... casting shade on a crackly, prickly yellow lawn ....

Lots of yellow grass, and lots of yellow flowers. Mmmmm .... will have to do something about that ......

Looking towards our small fruit orchard and vegetable garden area. If you look closely, you can just make out our small banana 'plantation' to the right, and my unruly rosemary bush to the left .....

Maxie finds a cool spot underneath the banana trees. One of our garden taps is here (can you spot it ?!) and she loves drinking water from it ....

The entrance to our house - you can just make out the gate ... and the white wall with a golden shower growing over it (not in bloom now, though). That used to be Justin's house ! Until a large gum tree fell on top of it a couple of years ago. As we discovered the gardeners had been burning rubbish too close to the base of the gum trees, and with the rain, one had rotted completely away. And came tumbling down. But Justin is having none of it, to this day he believes it was because of a curse put on him by one of the (ex) farm staff who he clashed with - and who just happened to be a witch doctor. He really believes that. Okay. But all I can say is THANK GOODNESS no one was in the house at the time.

Do you fancy a walk through my garden in the Summer, to see all my flowers in bloom and a bit more colour than just (boring old) green and yellow ? You can see the post - with photo's - I wrote last year on my Summer garden over here.