Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mariet's Banana & Caramel Pudding

Great if you don't have an oven & are catering for a crowd - this Banana & Caramel Pudding is always a hit !

Many years before I’d even met my husband, I lived & worked in the charming Magaliesburg area of South Africa. I lived in a quaint thatched, white washed cottage on a Strawberry farm owned by a delightful old man by the name of Con.

I have very many happy memories of that time, not least of all because this is where I met my husband, but also because this is where I became friends with a wonderful lady by the name of Mariet, who also happened to be a work colleague of mine at the time.

Mariet made this ‘Banana & Caramel Pudding’ for us when we went to her house for a ‘braai’ (barbecue) one evening & I enjoyed it so much that she gave me her recipe for it (it is similar to the well known 'Banoffee Pie'). It was the perfect recipe for me to make at the time, as the cottage which I lived in didn’t have an oven – but it did have a fridge, and this recipe requires no baking. It’s also as easy as 1,2,3 to throw together, is always a crowd pleaser & brings back fond memories of my time spent in the Magaliesburg when I eat it. Try it – I know you’ll enjoy it !


Mariet’s Banana & Caramel Pudding

1 x 360 gm (13 oz) tin of Caramel (or you can boil your own condensed milk)
2 x 200 gm (7 oz) pkts of Tennis Biscuits* (these are like coconut tea biscuits/cookies)
4 large Bananas, sliced into rings
2 x 90 gm (3 oz) pkts of Instant Banana flavour (or Vanilla, or Caramel) Pudding – made up according to package instructions to make around 1 litre of pudding
1 cup of Fresh Cream, whipped
Flake Bar, crumbled (or grated chocolate)

Place a layer of the tennis biscuits at the bottom of a large (30 cm x 20 cm) rectangular glass dish. Spread half of the made up pudding mixture over them, then place 2 of the sliced bananas on top of the pudding (spread the banana pieces out evenly in a single layer). Now spread half the caramel over the bananas (you might like to beat the caramel first, so that it has a smoother consistency which is easier to spread). Now repeat the process – top the caramel with another layer of biscuits, then the rest of the pudding, then 2 more sliced bananas, then the rest of the caramel. Now spread the whipped cream over the top and sprinkle with the crumbled (or grated) chocolate. Place in the fridge to set for a couple of hours before serving.

*The recipe calls for 2 packets of biscuits, but I find that 1 ½ packets are usually enough