Sunday, December 20, 2009

Creamy Homemade Leek & Potato Soup

This creamy Leek & Potato soup is a meal in itself ....

I spoke about the Leek & Potato Soup which I made for dinner the other night in my blog post over here. We’ve been having some cool, rainy weather lately and this soup went down a treat !

As the festive season is almost upon us and we’re bound to be over indulging and eating in excess during this time (!!) I figured a little soup in place of a full-on meal wouldn’t go amiss now and then …. although I can’t say that (hungry) hubby is as enthusiastic about my idea …. even with the addition of potatoes and cream to the recipe below. Oh, well !

Creamy Homemade Leek & Potato Soup


Olive Oil
4 cups Leeks, sliced into rings
3 large Onions, sliced into cubes
4 Potatoes, cubed & par boiled
4 cups Chicken Stock (I use 3 stock cubes for this)
1 cup Cream (I prefer to use Skim Milk - which works just fine)
Salt and Pepper – to taste


Cream (or Natural Yogurt) - to garnish
Chives, snipped – to garnish

Pan-fry the leeks and onions in the oil until translucent. Then add the par boiled potato cubes & chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and allow to bubble away for about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the cream (or milk) and liquidizing (I use a hand held blender for this – straight in the soup pot as it’s less messy !) Season to taste and serve with a dollop of cream (or natural yogurt – pictured) & some snipped chives sprinkled over. I like to serve this with some bread rolls on the side.