Thursday, December 24, 2009

T'was The Night Before Christmas ......

Christmas table setting from when we celebrated Christmas with my parents before we left South Africa last month

Tonight it’s Christmas Eve ! (And – by the title of this blog post, can you tell which bedtime story I’ve been reading to our daughter this week ? I think I must know it off by heart by now !)

Christmas Eve has always been a magical time for me …. I guess it goes back to when I was a child … the excitement, the expectation for Christmas morning. This evening, we will allow our daughter to stay up a little later than usual as we place all the Christmas presents under the tree together before she goes to bed. We will also leave a beer and some mince pies out for Father Christmas near the fireplace, as well as some carrots for his reindeer, of course !

Tomorrow morning we will wake up early & rush through to the lounge to see what Father Christmas has brought ! He will place the presents he brings for the children under the tree, and will fill the kid’s stockings which are hanging on the mantle piece.

We will drink tea (coffee for hubby !) and eat mince pies as we open our gifts …. sent from friends and family all around the world ….

Late morning, we will head up to our neighbour’s farm (which is about an hour from here), where we will be celebrating Christmas day together again (you can read all about that last year over here). There will be 14 of us for lunch, and as I did last year, I’ll be cooking and taking the turkey with me (along with the stuffing, gravy, chipolata sausages, roast potatoes and a lemon & strawberry cheesecake for the dessert table !) I think it’s going to be a lovely day !

On Boxing Day (you can read over here what we got up to on Boxing Day last year) we are heading out to dear friends of ours who we often spend Boxing Day with and who have recently bought land, (and built a house there) on the border of one of our National Parks …. I am taking along a platter of snacks for this as they are expecting around 25 people.

So, with all this cooking to do I’ve been keeping busy (we’ve also had lots of visitors out to the farm this week and past weekend, people for lunch etc & it’s been a – wonderful – non-stop social whirl in the lead up to Christmas !) …. so I’d best be off now and get in to the kitchen … with baby son in his ‘bouncy chair’ beside me to keep me company, and my daughter bobbing in and out (completely and utterly hyped up & excited with the prospect of it being Christmas day tomorrow !)

Will I be posting tomorrow, on Christmas day ? Absolutely - see you then !