Monday, April 26, 2010

5 Minute Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake

I know that this recipe has been doing the internet/email/chain letter rounds for years now, but it was the first time I'd tried it and it worked so well that I thought I'd put it on the blog for those of you who perhaps haven't seen it before. I made it with my daughter during the (current) school holidays - it's a great, fun, easy recipe for kids to make (with adults supervision, of course !) - especially for those times when they say 'I'm b-o-r-e-d !!!!'

Firstly, grab yourself a tall coffee mug & inside this put 4 tablespoons of flour (not self-raising), 4 tablespoons of sugar & 2 tablespoons of (unsweetened) Cocoa powder. Mix well (as demonstrated by my 5 year old daughter above !)

Into this, crack 1 egg and add 3 tablespoons of milk, 3 tablespoons of (sunflower) oil & a dash of vanilla essence. Mix well to blend, as you see in the picture below .....
Place the mug in the microwave, and microwave (1000 watt power) for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes until done. I was warned that the cake might rise over the surface of the mug(depsite there not being any raising aid - like baking powder - in the ingredients), but this didn't happen - maybe because I used a really tall mug ? The finished product looks like this -:

And here is a close-up, after the cake has been tipped out of the mug -:

This is a very moist cake - I would liken it to a chocolate sponge pudding, and would probably serve it as such with some fresh cream or custard. It serves 2 big (or 3 little) people generously and is DELICIOUS !

If you haven't tried this easy peasy recipe before, especially if you have (bored !) children in the house - I urge you to give it a try. You won't be disappointed !