Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flooded Roads On The Way To School ....

School's back which means a twice weekly 3 hour round trip to take my daughter to school (I home school her on the other 3 days). Quite a lot of fun at the moment with all the rain we've been having. Lots of puddles and parts of the main dirt road which are more like a river than anything else.

Approaching part of the 'river' above, and driving through it ... below ....

Okay, we're almost through it .... but oops, see some more water up ahead ....

The truck ahead of us made it through okay .... but I feel sorry for the poor chap on his bicycle below - those yellow plastic containers he has strapped to the sides of his bicycle are for carrying drinking water in - he had to stop to attach them more securely, before negotiating his way through all the water ....

Finally, we make it on to the tar road .... which used to be dirt road until several years ago, so we're lucky as we'd be negotiating our way through water for most of the way ! Now we just have to watch out for stray cattle and goats .... and the odd pothole ..... and we'll soon be there.

And to think that in the dry season, we had to negotiate elephants (click to read that blog post and to see pics) and giraffe (ditto) on the way to school. I try to explain to our daughter that none of these are usual things that children encounter on the way to school in other parts of the world. But I'm not that sure that she believes me !

I've had a few people ask me for some posts and photo's on our surrounding area and villages, so I'll be taking you on a few road trips with me over the next couple of weeks .... to see some typical Tanzanian roadside scenes, a trip to one of our cities and a famous landmark - and even on an early morning school run with me ... I hope that you'll enjoy these trips, and getting off the farm with me for a while !

(Incase you were wondering - the red plastic Coca Cola crates stacked on top of one another in the right of the last photo are placed outside a local bar/restaurant to indicate to the passing soda delivery truck that they need stock today - or tomorrow - whenever he may pass. No telephoning ahead to place your weekly order here !)