Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hot Banana Sponge Pudding

An ideal cold weather pudding, this hot banana sponge is guaranteed to warm you up !


What with all the World Cup fever in the air, I thought that it was about time to sidetrack a little and post a recipe – and also because looking back, I see that the last recipe I posted on the blog was a few weeks ago.

I know that many readers are entering their warm Summer season at the moment – but here in Africa, Winter is rapidly approaching – hence the need for nice, hot puddings like this ‘Hot Banana Sponge’ … but I promise, you’ll enjoy it just as much in Summer, too !

I had an upset reader a while ago, who tried one of my recipes and burnt her efforts as she claimed that the cooking time I stated in the recipe was far too long. I do test ALL my recipes before posting them on the blog (and most recipes are ones I’ve been cooking/baking for years, or very regularly) and always post photo’s of them for you to see, too … but I do have to say that as all ovens vary, (I have even found things to cook at different times at different altitudes) please just use my cooking times as a guideline only, and adjust to suit your oven – remembering to check what you’re cooking at least once during the cooking process, just incase !

So, now on to the recipe. This is one I’ve adapted from a ‘base’ recipe over time and it’s great for using up ripe bananas. The sugar which you sprinkle over the layer of bananas before baking, caramelizes them slightly and makes them a little chewy – which adds a nice twist to the recipe. If you use skim/fat free milk to make this pudding, it is actually virtually fat free - great if you are watching your weight or cholesterol (I’m doing both – ha !)

This goes deliciously well with custard, although in the photo above I served it with (tinned) cream, as I was feeling too lazy to make custard at the time ;) -:


Hot Banana Sponge Pudding

1 cup Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 tbsp Sugar
pinch of Salt
¾ cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 medium sized Bananas, sliced in to rounds

Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Add the milk, beaten egg and vanilla extract and mix to blend well. Pour into an approx. 27 cm x 16 cm (approx. 11 inches x 6 inches) rectangular baking dish and place the sliced bananas on the top of the batter. Sprinkle the lemon juice and brown sugar over and bake at Gas mark 5/190’C/375’F for 25 minutes until done.

Serve hot with custard or cream.