Friday, August 27, 2010

An African Winter ... & My Winter Garden

There's not much colour in my garden during the Winter months ....


The lawn is quite dry and not the lush emerald green colour it is during the Summer months


This flower bed is usually ablaze with colour during Summer .....


You can see our banana trees to the left of this photo (& various fruit/nut trees beyond). The bed in the foreground is a fish pond I filled in - too dangerous with young children around !


We’re nearing the end of our Winter months here in Tanzania, with 01st September being the ‘official’ start of Spring. As Winter is my favourite season, I’m always a little sad to say goodbye to it, but the newness and bright blooms of Spring soon cheer me up !

Because I get a lot of questions about it, I thought I’d just add a bit in about our Winter temperatures here in Tanzania – our lowest temperatures on the farm are around 6’C/43’F at night and we can average a high of around 15’C/59’F on a very cold day. The wind blows right over Kilimanjaro’s icy snow cap & blasts us here on the farm sometimes ….. brrrr !

Now, those temperatures may not sound that cold to some of you – but for a born-and-bred African, that’s cold enough for me. Remember, too, that our homes here are not built for cold temps – no double glazing, under floor heating etc but rather cool tiled or cement floors, high ceilings, no such thing as fitted carpets and doors/windows that are not really wind proof. Not to mention things like our electricity supply which cannot handle things like heaters or electric blankets & sometimes erratic hot water which can sometimes make for cool Winter baths … brrrrr !

The photo’s in today’s post show what my ‘Winter’ garden looks like at the moment (I took them a few days ago) and if you’d like to see how different it looks in Summer, you can click over here to see a post and photo’s on that.