Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Strawberry Swiss Roll

This swiss roll is also delicious with an apricot or blackberry jam filling

When I was in High School, I took Home Economics as a subject. I really loved it. In fact, it was my absolute favourite subject, especially when we got to cook and bake in the class kitchen.

For my practical exam in matric (final year of high school/senior school) I chose to cook a wedding breakfast which included, amongst other things, both plain and cheese croissants made from scratch. Whenever I make croissants now, it always takes me right back to my school days spent in the Home Economics kitchen.

Anyway, this Swiss Roll recipe is one I was taught during one of those Home Economics classes almost 20 years ago (!!) and which I still make today. Granted, it is a bit of a fiddly recipe …. but it is well worth the effort, I promise you !


Strawberry Swiss Roll

250 ml Flour
10 ml Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
4 Eggs
200 ml Castor Sugar
12,5 ml lemon Juice
25 ml cold Water
Strawberry Jam (for filling)
Extra Castor Sugar (for dusting)

Firstly, prepare a Swiss roll tin by oiling it and then placing a sheet of wax paper inside it and then oiling the surface of the wax paper, too (so, you will have oil on both sides of the paper).

Then beat the eggs until light & foamy. Add the lemon juice & water and continue beating. Gradually add the castor sugar, beating after each addition. When well mixed, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt twice before folding them in to the egg mixture. Now pour the mixture into the prepared Swiss roll tin. Gently drop the tin a few times on the counter top to get rid of any air bubbles in the batter.

Bake at Gas Mark 5 / 190‘C/375’F for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly golden and springy to the touch.

Once done, turn out immediately onto a wet tea towel which has been sprinkled with Castor sugar & then spread jam over the entire surface (if the edges of the Swiss roll are crispy, you can thinly slice them off). Using the tea towel, roll up the sponge until a roll is formed.