Sunday, January 25, 2009

Crumbed Sage & Rosemary Pork Schnitzels

Delicious served with a cheese sauce, these crumbed pork schnitzels are also great served with just a squeeze of lemon juice

These pork schnitzels are so quick and easy to make, especially when you need supper on the table in a hurry, or have unexpected guests – I always make sure that I have a few pre-portioned pork steaks in my freezer, so that I can throw this meal together at a moment’s notice !

I buy my pork steaks from our local butchery in the city, & pound them (placed in a thick, re sealable plastic bag) with a meat mallet until they are quite a bit thinner (more tender & quicker to cook). I then dip them in a mixture of egg & milk, and into my own seasoned breadcrumb mix (I buy my breadcrumbs ‘fresh’ from the local bakery & season them myself – so much better than the artificial tasting shop bought varieties we find on our shelves here) & then straight into a hot pan !

They really do taste delicious and can be served with a variety of sauces – from traditional gravy to cheese sauce or even apple sauce if you like. (My favourite way to eat them is with some freshly squeezed lemon juice on the top !)


Crumbed Sage & Rosemary Pork Schnitzels

500 gm Pork Schnitzels (or Pork Steaks)
1 Egg, beaten
Dash of Milk (about 1 tbsp)
¾ cup Breadcrumbs
3 heaped tsp dried Sage
1 heaped tsp dried Rosemary
2 tsp dried Garlic flakes
1 ½ tsp Salt
Oil for frying

Place the pork steaks inside a thick, re sealable plastic bag & pound flatter with a meat mallet or heavy rolling pin before removing from the bag. Mix the egg & milk together and pour onto a large dinner plate. Mix the breadcrumbs & seasonings together on another dinner plate, and toss to blend well. Dip each steak into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs, coating each side evenly. Put them straight into a hot pan with a little oil and fry on each side until golden & cooked through.

Serve topped with cheese sauce, gravy, apple sauce or my personal favourite – a squeeze of lemon juice.

(You can see a similar recipe I posted last year for Crumbed Pork Steaks with a Cheese Sauce over here).