Thursday, January 1, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR ! (& My Big Announcement !)

Kilimanjaro's lower slopes - viewed from a different angle on our farm - taken on the last day of 2008 (I bet she's seen a few New Year's in !)



Happy New Year ! I wish each and every one of you a wonderful, happy and joyous 2009 where all your hopes and dreams come true !

I won’t be posting any of my resolutions here - because I don’t make New Year’s resolutions, simply because I never stick to them & because I try to make changes that need to be made throughout the year & not just at the beginning of the year. (well, in theory - it doesn’t always work out that way though .. ha ha !)

Anyway jokes aside, I really do try not to take any year – no matter how good or bad it has been – for granted, because I treasure my life and the fact that I am healthy & living to see another year. I know that might sound a bit dramatic, but I have lost both family and friends at young ages and I am forever grateful for each year I have on this earth, and I do celebrate each year of my life regardless (even though life’s road can sometimes be a bit bumpy & unpredictable !)

The saddest event of this year for me was losing my beloved Zonde. She walked by my side for so long that I cannot remember a Christmas or New Year without her, & although I know she is still walking (softly, quietly, loyally) beside me in the shadows, life is just not the same without her, and I will never forget 2008 as being the year that she finally left me.

On a much more joyous note though, I want to share the wonderful news with you that I am just over 4 months pregnant, & expecting our baby towards the end of May this year ! I do not really talk about it on the blog – those of you who are regular or old readers will have seen me mention it only a couple of times – but we lost our second baby 2 years ago & through botched local emergency treatment I could have lost my own life too, & at one stage it was not known if I'd be able to have another child so this, for us, is truly a miracle and something we have wanted for a very long time !

There are those close to me who say I am crazy, as my pregnancy is considered a risky one and we live far from medical care & that I should not even consider having another baby whilst living on the farm ! But I always follow my heart, my gut instinct and I have a feeling of peace about this pregnancy and that all will go well. So now you see, another reason for my recent regular trips to Kenya (pregnancy check-up’s !) and more planned in the New Year, plus an almost 2 month stint in South Africa later this year, where I will have the baby in Johannesburg.

Don’t worry, this won’t become a “Baby Blog” lol but I just wanted to let you all know (I must admit that I’ve been feeling a bit guilty not sharing the news with you all sooner, but was waiting until I was over the risky first 3 months !) as it will, of course, have an impact on my blogging this year ….. especially around the time the baby is due ! (But my blogging will not stop, I promise !)

Well, let me stop waffling on now and just wish you all a wonderful day, a wonderful beginning to 2009 & may all your dreams come true in the new year. And never forget that yes, miracles do happen and that anything is possible, because 2008 has brought me my own miracle which we never thought possible. Never stop believing !