Monday, April 13, 2009

Hong Kong Chicken

Great served on a bed of noodles or rice, this chicken dish called for cubed meat but I opted to use whole pieces instead

The author of this recipe, Lynn Bedford Hall, has a great sense of humor as she writes in it’s description “Not strictly Far East by any means, but it’s as good a name as any for a tarted up chicken dish with an oriental flavour” !

It’s a rich, tasty chicken dish and something a little bit different. I have adapted the original recipe somewhat (as 2 of the things I cannot bear to eat are green/red peppers and mushrooms – both of which are called for in the original recipe) ! You can see my notes at the bottom as to how I adapted the recipe.


Hong Kong Chicken (from the book “More Food With Flair” by Lynn Bedford Hall)

600 gm cooked Chicken meat, cubed, no bones
25 ml Butter
25 ml Oil
1 large Onion, sliced
1 large Carrot, coarsely grated
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 red Pepper, seeded & sliced in thin strips
200 gm fresh Mushrooms, washed & sliced
50 ml Flour, sifted
500 ml Chicken stock
25 ml Sherry
25 ml Soy Sauce
Blanched Almonds, toasted (for garnishing)

Heat the butter & the oil in a pan. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, red pepper & mushrooms. Fry until gently softened but still crisp. Add the flour & stir to blend, then add the chicken stock & the cooked cubes of chicken. Once it has all heated through, add the sherry & soy sauce. Taste for seasoning, but don’t boil again. Garnish with the toasted almonds, and serve on a bed of rice or noodles.

How I adapted the recipe (pictured above) -:

I used 6 whole, skinless chicken pieces (drumsticks & thighs) for the recipe. I fried these in one saucepan (in a little olive oil) until golden, whilst in another I fried the onion, carrot and garlic (leaving out the pepper & mushrooms). Then I added the flour and chicken stock to this, stirred until thick and added the sherry and soy sauce. I allowed this to simmer, adding the cooked chicken pieces to it and let the whole lot simmer/cook together for about another 15 minutes. I garnished the dish with chopped spring onion tops, and served it on a bed of noodles.