Friday, January 29, 2010

A Strawberry Topping For Cheesecake

This festive ruby coloured Strawberry Topping for Cheesecake went down well on Christmas day (sorry about the poor picture quality on this one - it was snapped in a great hurry, in poor light !)

On Christmas day, one of the dishes I made to take to our neighbours farm for lunch was Strawberry Cheesecake. (You can read that blog post over here). I actually made 2 (as there were a crowd of us – and also because the neighbours kids – who were home from boarding school - love cheesecake so I left one for them to enjoy after Christmas !)

I used one of my favourite recipes – which has featured on the blog before – for ‘Lemon Fridge Cheesecake’. (You can see the post/recipe for that over here.)

The addition of lemon juice to this recipe gives this cheesecake a nice cheesecake-y ‘tang’ so I kept it in and made a strawberry topping for it – so perhaps I should have called it a ‘Lemon Strawberry Cheesecake’ ?

You know when you order cheesecake in a nice restaurant or coffee bar type place and it comes with a jellied sort of fruity topping ? Well, that’s what I was after. I decided to use strawberries as their colour is quite festive and because we can get them here easily. (Sorry the photo above is not great – it was snapped in a hurry as we were about to load the car !)

I found several cheesecake topping recipes both online and in my recipe books, and I combined different things to come up with the recipe & method below. This was the first time I’d ever tried making a cheesecake topping (& I should just mention that because most of the recipes on this blog are one’s I’ve made hundreds of times before & are ‘tried and trusted’) but I reckon that this recipe is a ‘keeper’ -:


Strawberry Topping For Cheesecake

1 cup white Sugar
3 tbsp Cornflour (cornstarch)
1 ½ cups cold Water
1 ½ tbsp Gelatine powder & 2 tbsp boiling water
2 x 420gm (150gm drained weight) tinned Strawberries – drained (reserve juice)
A few drops of Red food colouring

Mix the sugar & cornflour together in pot. Add the water to this, & mix to blend well. Place on a low heat and cook (stirring continuously) until the mixture becomes thick & clear. Dissolve the gelatine powder in the boiling water, and add to the mix, stirring to blend before removing from the heat. Stir in the tinned strawberries & 1 tin of the reserved juice. Add a few drops of red food colouring. Stir again. Pour over the top of the cheesecake. (I’d made mine the day before to ensure that it had set before adding the topping).

Note - Next time I will use fresh strawberries instead of tinned ones, as I think that fresh strawberries have a better colour and are firmer for slicing/nicer display on top of the cheesecake.